Every person in the Bible is a supporting actor in God's story—each revealing who God is and what His will is for human beings both then and now. In these characters, we see a glimpse of ourselves, coming to understand our failings, our potential, and God's purpose through it all.
The first volume of characters, The Patriarchs, examines some of the best-known characters in all the Bible. Through understanding not only the stories but the historical and social contexts of people like Abraham, Noah, and Joseph, we see the nature of faith and what it means to believe in a God who is still telling His story through His people today.
1. Adam and Eve: The First Humans
2. Noah: The Lone Righteous Man
3. Abraham: The Man Who Followed God
4. Isaac: The Miracle Child
5. Jacob: Father of the 12 Tribes of Israel
6. Joseph: The Forgiving Leader
• Six small-group sessions
• Personal-study opportunities for ongoing spiritual growth
• Understand the origins of humanity and God's purpose in creation.
• See the establishment of God's people of Israel.
• Gain a greater biblical literacy as you understand these characters’ places in Scripture.
• Find faith strengthened by seeing a God who makes and maintains His promises.
• Begin a year-long experience of walking through the Bible, starting with this first volume.
• Explore the historical and biblical contexts of early Old Testament characters.
• Find greater meaning in familiar Bible accounts.
• Become confident of your own place as a character of God's story.
• Experience the redemption that comes through God's use of imperfect people for His will.